- Police searching for pharmacy robber
- State police in Bedford investigating stolen electricity
- Eight victims in Bedford County vandalisms
- Tailgate, license plate stolen from vehicle in Bedford County
- Bedford Co. homicide suspect claims shooting was self-defense
- Teen banned from social media for picture
- Bedford County excavators and emergency responders attend training seminar for pipeline disasters
- Man charged for driving through Turnpike fence to avoid paying toll
- Woman says grandson, ex-daughter-in-law wrongly charged in homicide
- Attorney conflict delays hearings for Bedford murder suspects
- Bedford County Jail escapee caught at Walmart
- Community reacts to Bedford County inmate escape
- Bedford jail escapee was awaiting trial on burglary charges
- Bedford motorcyclist killed Monday after colliding with tractor-trailer
- Three charged in Bedford Co. homicide case
- 3 arrested in connection to Bedford Co. homicide
- Police in Bedford County investing possible homicide near Hyndman
- Bedford County sex offender sentenced to 60 to 120 years in prison
- Police in Bedford investigating a possible scam
- State police in Bedford searching for gun thief
- 80-year prison sentence for Bedford man affirmed
- Teen charge with desecrating Bedford Co. statue
- Bedford Co. World War II monument unveiled
- Lunch lady accused of stealing gym bag
- World War II monument complete in Bedford Co.
- Cash 5 ticket worth $225K sold in Bedford Co.
- Bedford Co. teenager killed in crash
- Vandals open fire hydrant, releasing 200,000 gallons of water
- Group of men making a difference to honor veterans
- Vacant Bedford Co. home destroyed by fire
- 6 local airports receiving funding
- Police: Neighbor shoots neighbor in Bedford Co.
- Man dies after single-car crash
- Man killed after hitting car head-on
- State police investigate fire at Everett home, hours after shooting
- DEVELOPING: House at center of shooting investigation catches fire
- State police investigate near drowning at Shawnee State Park
- New York film company features Bedford teen with inoperable tumor
- 62,000 UPMC employees have 'work day' smoking ban
- Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown selling bishop's home
- Crash on Route 30 in Bedford Co. kills one
- Police: Bedford Co. inmate made knife from shampoo bottle
- 29th annual WJAC-TV Donor Day underway
- Commission OKs another boost in Pa. Turnpike tolls
- Wicked weather blows through Bedford Co.
- Storm cleanup underway in Bedford Co.
- Bedford Co. fire breaks out during storms
- 20 charged for allegedly dealing drugs in Blair Co.
- Man hospitalized after police chase, crash
- Chestnut Ridge Elementary adopts
- Large Bedford Co. fire keeps crews at scene for nearly 7 hours
- Bedford Co. releases third video of Everett
- Battling prescription drug trafficking an ongoing effort
- Man killed after concrete barrier falls on him
- The 9th Congressional District candidates face off
- Will's Mountain fire ruled arson
- Police: Man goes on hike in woods, dies of natural causes
- Speed limit restored on Rt. 220 in Bedford Co.
- Some firefighters sent home after brush fire contained
- Crews continue to extinguish Bedford Co. mountain blaze
- Fire continues to rage on Bedford Co. mountain
- Speed limit reduced near Bedford Co. mountain fire
- Brush fire continues to grow in Bedford Co.
- Brush fire in Bedford Co. covers hundreds of acres
- Police probing death of Bedford woman
- Bedford company lays off 40 employees
- Bedford Co. town still without clean water
- Crash in Bedford Co. kills one
- Everett man heading to trial on 2,426 counts of sexual abuse
- Crews battled 5-acre brush fire in Bedford Co.
- Bedford Co. turnpike closure planned
- VA hospital to close ICU, change emergency care
- Several drugs reported missing from Bedford Co. ambulance company
- Two injured in mobile home explosion
- Police identify missing man from 2008 burglary using DNA
- Bedford Co. bison farm creating boost for area business
- Hearing continued for Bedford Co. man accused of raping 3 girls
- Man tries to run over woman with car
- Wife of man facing child sex abuse charges shocked, confused
- Bedford Co. man faces 2,400 charges related to child sexual abuse
- 121 Bedford Co. homes without clean water
- Flames destroy house in Bedford Co.
- Barn catches fire early Sunday morning
- More than 300 people without water in Bedford Co.
- UPMC nurse and nurses union agree on contract
- Several displaced after fire tears through Blair Co. block
- UPMC Altoona, nurses union reach tentative contract agreement
- Police investigating fatal crash in Bedford Co.
Bedford Co. bison farm creating boost for area business
Updated: Monday, March 17 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
By Melanie Gillespie
BEDFORD CO., Pa. --
A farm in Bedford County is not only providing for a family, but it’s giving a new sense of agriculture and business to the region.
The Bison Corral has been around since the late '80s and has become a tourist attraction.
It sits tucked away off of Lincoln Highway near Schellsburg.
"There's nobody else around here that has buffalo or sells buffalo,” Cynnamon Darrow said.
Darrow’s family owns the farm that sits on 200 acres of land and filled with roaming bison.
It started with four, and has turned into hundreds of bison grazing, a bison-themed gift shop.
"We sell the meat, and breed them; and also sell the meat to other people,” Darrow said.
Melissa Jacobs owns the nearby Jean Bonnet Tavern. She said, “Whenever you can work cooperatively with another business that caters to visitors in the area, it's definitely a win-win.”
The restaurant has carried bison meat on its menu for more than a decade, and sold as many as 5,000 bison burgers last year alone.
"To use a local product, we get a lot of visitors to the area, and they're interested in trying something that's produced here in Bedford County,” Jacobs said.
It's a product that’s locally grown, bred and raised and gives an economic boost to the business in the county.
"The gift shop refers so many people to come and try the bison meat here, so, it's had a positive impact on us,” Jacobs said.
Several other area businesses also buy meat from the farm to sell in their restaurant.
Bison have come as far as North Dakota, and even Canada.