- Woman says grandson, ex-daughter-in-law wrongly charged in homicide
- Attorney conflict delays hearings for Bedford murder suspects
- Bedford County Jail escapee caught at Walmart
- Community reacts to Bedford County inmate escape
- Bedford jail escapee was awaiting trial on burglary charges
- Bedford motorcyclist killed Monday after colliding with tractor-trailer
- Three charged in Bedford Co. homicide case
- 3 arrested in connection to Bedford Co. homicide
- Police in Bedford County investing possible homicide near Hyndman
- Bedford County sex offender sentenced to 60 to 120 years in prison
- Police in Bedford investigating a possible scam
- State police in Bedford searching for gun thief
- 80-year prison sentence for Bedford man affirmed
- Teen charge with desecrating Bedford Co. statue
- Bedford Co. World War II monument unveiled
- Lunch lady accused of stealing gym bag
- World War II monument complete in Bedford Co.
- Cash 5 ticket worth $225K sold in Bedford Co.
- Bedford Co. teenager killed in crash
- Vandals open fire hydrant, releasing 200,000 gallons of water
- Group of men making a difference to honor veterans
- Vacant Bedford Co. home destroyed by fire
- 6 local airports receiving funding
- Police: Neighbor shoots neighbor in Bedford Co.
- Man dies after single-car crash
- Man killed after hitting car head-on
- State police investigate fire at Everett home, hours after shooting
- DEVELOPING: House at center of shooting investigation catches fire
- State police investigate near drowning at Shawnee State Park
- New York film company features Bedford teen with inoperable tumor
- 62,000 UPMC employees have 'work day' smoking ban
- Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown selling bishop's home
- Crash on Route 30 in Bedford Co. kills one
- Police: Bedford Co. inmate made knife from shampoo bottle
- 29th annual WJAC-TV Donor Day underway
- Commission OKs another boost in Pa. Turnpike tolls
- Wicked weather blows through Bedford Co.
- Storm cleanup underway in Bedford Co.
- Bedford Co. fire breaks out during storms
- 20 charged for allegedly dealing drugs in Blair Co.
- Man hospitalized after police chase, crash
- Chestnut Ridge Elementary adopts
- Large Bedford Co. fire keeps crews at scene for nearly 7 hours
- Bedford Co. releases third video of Everett
- Battling prescription drug trafficking an ongoing effort
- Man killed after concrete barrier falls on him
- The 9th Congressional District candidates face off
- Will's Mountain fire ruled arson
- Police: Man goes on hike in woods, dies of natural causes
- Speed limit restored on Rt. 220 in Bedford Co.
- Some firefighters sent home after brush fire contained
- Crews continue to extinguish Bedford Co. mountain blaze
- Fire continues to rage on Bedford Co. mountain
- Speed limit reduced near Bedford Co. mountain fire
- Brush fire continues to grow in Bedford Co.
- Brush fire in Bedford Co. covers hundreds of acres
- Police probing death of Bedford woman
- Bedford company lays off 40 employees
- Bedford Co. town still without clean water
- Crash in Bedford Co. kills one
- Everett man heading to trial on 2,426 counts of sexual abuse
- Crews battled 5-acre brush fire in Bedford Co.
- Bedford Co. turnpike closure planned
- VA hospital to close ICU, change emergency care
- Several drugs reported missing from Bedford Co. ambulance company
- Two injured in mobile home explosion
- Police identify missing man from 2008 burglary using DNA
- Bedford Co. bison farm creating boost for area business
- Hearing continued for Bedford Co. man accused of raping 3 girls
- Man tries to run over woman with car
- Wife of man facing child sex abuse charges shocked, confused
- Bedford Co. man faces 2,400 charges related to child sexual abuse
- 121 Bedford Co. homes without clean water
- Flames destroy house in Bedford Co.
- Barn catches fire early Sunday morning
- More than 300 people without water in Bedford Co.
- UPMC nurse and nurses union agree on contract
- Several displaced after fire tears through Blair Co. block
- UPMC Altoona, nurses union reach tentative contract agreement
- Police investigating fatal crash in Bedford Co.
Wife of man facing child sex abuse charges shocked, confused
Updated: Friday, March 7 2014, 06:29 PM EST
By: Maria Miller
EVERETT, Pa. -- A Bedford County man is in jail, accused of raping three young girls. Investigators said the abuse happened through the course of several years and the victims all vowed to keep quiet out of fear. The man is facing 2,426 counts of rape, sexual assault and corruption of minors.
The criminal complaint is graphic. It’s 14 pages of allegations from the three victims who told police Michael Edmonson sexually abused and raped them for years, beginning when they were as young as 5.
"They had essentially agreed many years ago to never report this as long as he promised not to touch the younger girl," said Bedford County District Attorney Bill Higgins. "They held that awful secret in for all these years and when they found out that he had moved on to molesting their younger sister, they couldn't live with themselves if they didn't report it, so they came forward to police."
A criminal complaint filed Thursday details hundreds of sex acts the girls told police took place in their home, at Edmonson’s place of work, in an old farmhouse and random spots along back roads.
Court documents said one of the girls would often "sleep curled up in a ball with the covers wrapped around [her] and would hope and pray that he would not come into [her] room."
Another girl told police he threatened them, one time taking "a sawed off shotgun he had in the car and held it to [her] head and told [her] he would kill [her] if [she] didn't do as [she] was told."
"With a guy like this, I'm positive that the only way I can keep him from molesting children is to keep him behind bars," Higgins said. "I'm going to do everything I can to see to it that he's there until he's no longer on this earth.
"It's a shock," said Travis Gould, who lives next door to Edmonson in Everett. "For someone you know for a couple of years, someone who babysits your kids, it's a shock."
But no one could be more shocked and sickened than Edmonson's wife of 16 years.
"I'm very much confused. I never thought he was capable of that," she told 6 News Friday.
The woman didn't want to show her face, but through tears she talked about the life she's shared with Edmonson and the sheer confusion, shock and grief she's now forced to carry with her every day.
"It's so confusing. It's just so hard," she said. "I don't even know what to think anymore. My life has changed. Everyone's life has changed that's impacted by this."
"People like him, the only way you protect children from sexual predators is to put them behind bars," said Higgins. "As long as they're breathing air there's a possibility they'll molest another child because that's what they're interested in. So my goal whenever I'm dealing with one of these pedophiles, one of these creeps, I'll put them in jail as long as I can."
Police said two of the alleged victims in the case came forward after several years of abuse. It's a trend that's been seen in many recent sex abuse cases and authorities don't believe it's a coincidence. Higgins said he doesn't necessarily think there's been an increase in occurrences, but rather an increase in reportings because of the attention the stories are getting.
"As a society we've no longer stigmatized the victims," Higgins said. "We do more to support victims and show victims that it's not their fault that this person offended them, hurt them, and we're going to hold them accountable and that that victim is in no way to blame."
Higgins added that he hopes this case, like others, will bring hope and courage to victims who haven't yet come forward.
In the meantime Edmonson remains in the Bedford County Jail in lieu of $100, 000 bail.