- Manhunt in Clearfield and Elk counties
- Pennsylvania Game Commission Elk Cam
- Man jailed for assaulting woman he met online
- Elk County family picking up the pieces after fire
- Beaver man dies after rattlesnake bite in Elk County
- Remainder of Pennsy Bridge demolished
- Firemen’s Carnival kicks off in Ridgway
- Highland Township has fears of shut down amid insurance battle
- Workers prepare to demolish rest of Pennsy Bridge after collapse
- Bridge collapse investigation could take weeks
- One person still in hospital after Pennsy Bridge collapse
- Fire damages Punxsutawney home, garage
- Man convicted of killing girlfriend in 2013 receives life sentence
- Man accused of setting fire to Elk County building to face trial
- Community leaders need help paying for new police cruiser in Punxsutawney
- Protesters expected at psychic, holistic event in St. Marys
- Driver arrested for DUI after early morning crash in Elk County
- Historical society raising money to repair ‘country’s smallest church’
- Woman finds drug needle, spoon near school bus stop in St. Marys
- St. Marys man arrested on suspicion of burglarizing dead woman’s home
- Bomb squad called to Elk County courthouse for odd packages
- St. Marys man arrested for burglarizing dead woman’s home
- Borough, skaters meet to discuss plans for Ridgway skate park
- Hiker finds cat remains in Elk County
- Man accused of setting fire to St. Marys furniture store went on crime spree the same night
- Man charged in alleged arson at vacant St. Marys building
- One person injured in Elk County fire
- Ceiling fan causes house fire in Elk County
- St. Marys home destroyed in Fire
- Nicholas Martin found guilty of first-degree murder
- Elk County man found guilty of first-degree murder, abuse of corpse
- Work to start Monday on Pennsy Bridge in Ridgway
- Psychologist: Upbringing may have contributed to murder suspect’s emotional disorders
- Defendant takes the stand in Elk County murder trial
- Victim’s mother testifies in second day of Elk County murder trail
- Victim’s mother testifies during second day of Elk County murder trial
- Jurors hear testimony in day one of Elk County murder trial
- Trial underway in Elk County murder
- Police officers risked lives to safe elderly woman from fire in Elk County
- 7 jurors picked so far for Elk County murder trial
- Elderly woman injured in St. Marys fire
- Jury selection underway in Elk County murder trial
- Pilot uninjured after plane crashes at Elk County Airport
- New information on raging fire at Straub Brewery in St. Marys
- Fire breaks out at Straub Brewery in St. Marys
- People from all over world for Chainsaw Rendezvous in Ridgway
- Membership skyrockets after Ridgway YMCA’s grand opening, parking now an issue
- Fire destroys elderly brothers’ St. Marys home
- Crews battle overnight fire in St. Marys
- Two women killed when car collided with tractor-trailer
- Superintendent standing behind disciplinary actions in reported sexual assault
- Annual Cerebral Palsy Ball planned for Saturday in Ridgway
- Suspects in St. Marys burglary in custody
- Time runs out for owner of blighted Ridgway home
- Borough lets mourning mother keep son’s memorial in place
- Damages estimated at $250,000 in St. Marys house fire
- Firefighters in St. Marys spend several hours fighting house fire
- Elk County commissioner preparing for mission trip to Dominican Republic
- Elk County commissioners, sheriff’s working to resolve bulletproof vest issue
- Ridgway YMCA pool project complete
- More details about the St. Mary’s furniture store fire
- Elk Co. fire destroys local furniture store
- Flood protection project in Ridgway continues
- Space of former upholstery factory in Ridgway to be converted into parking lot
- 100 still forced to boil water in Elk County
- One killed, three injured in Elk County crash
- Bomb threat of Elk County Walmart causes evacuation
- Abandoned factory in Ridgway finally being torn down
- Ridgway fire ruled accidental
- Arson suspect gets federal prison on gun charges
- Woman who lives to help others receives surprise home makeover
- St. Mary’s to implement school alert system
- Names released in fiery St. Mary’s crash
- Fiery crash in St. Mary’s kills one person, injures another
- Coroner called to fiery truck crash
- Suspect identified in check forgeries
- Police looking for check forgery suspect
- Johnsonburg man responsible for check forgeries
- Power outage shuts down 911 service in Elk County
- Ridgway finds success in co-op with former rival Johnsonburg
- Candlelight vigil being held for missing Ridgway marine
- Friends of missing Ridgway Marine still hopeful
- Police said 9-year-old made prank call reporting killing at high school
- Pickup truck rolls over, goes through a house
- Man shoots bartender, kills self in Elk Co.
- Man kills himself after shooting bartender multiple times
- St. Marys plant to face fine in deadly explosion
- 4 charged in alleged bath salts ring in Elk Co.
- Groundbreaking set on Kinzua Viaduct center
- LIFT working to help others through ramp donations
- Elk Co. man convicted in 'leftover' pot trial
- Hundreds of shoppers check out the 100-mile yard sale
- 6 local airports receiving funding
- Truck crashes within feet of house in Elk Co.
- Elk Co. man arrested for stabbing man, leading officers on chase
- Man dies after car crashes into tree
- Elk Co. gas leak fixed in several hours
- Ridgway pool to reopen in time for holiday weekend
- Elk Co. high rise residents could return home sooner
- September trial for woman in crash that killed 6
- Woman laid off in Elk Co., pursues dream
- Crash in Elk Co. sends two to hospital
- Retirees help with Ridgway carnival ground rebuilding
- Children in Elk Co. learn how fun reading can be
- Elk County to get fed disaster help for flooding
- Elk Co. flood damage assessments continue
- Red Cross service center changing locations in Elk Co.
- Flood recovery continues in Elk Co.
- Help for flooding victims can be found at Ridgway Fire Hall
- Officials called to a water rescue in Elk Co.
- Federal officials, local representatives reviewing Elk Co. flood impact
- ATA helps seniors impacted by flooding
- Ridgway businesses cleaning up, working to reopen quickly
- Residents relying on each other for help in flood recovery
- Ridgway Fire Department assisting with flooded basements
- State officials surveying Elk Co. flood damage
- Recovery begins in Elk County after massive flooding
- Ridgway businesses begin to clean up after flood
- People rescued from severe flooding in Elk County
- Residents forced to evacuate homes as flood water rise
- Ridgway officials already planning to prevent next flood
- Covering flood damage has residents concerned
- More than 100 people evacuated in Elk Co. flooding
- Residents shocked by flooding in Elk Co.
- Major flooding in Elk County
- Flooding reported in Elk County
- Boy expected to recover after being hit by SUV
- Police investigating theft of cemetery vases
- Former Elk Co. humane society volunteer sentenced
- Child struck by vehicle in Elk Co.
- Several area schools score high on state performance profile
- Elk Co. YMCA to expand pool, enabling handicap access
- Fire destroys Elk County home
- Elk Co. home damaged in blaze
- School left to repair damages caused by burglars
- Police investigating burglary at Elk Co. school
- Elk Co. company blames human error of deadly blast
- PIAA plan would limit athletics at charter schools
- Drivers to see traffic delays in Elk Co.
- Fire in Elk Co. destroys barn Saturday
- Elk Co. roadway reopens after crash
- Four injured in Elk Co. crash
- Elk Co. man arrested on child porn charges
- Students learn dance to raise money for playground
Federal officials, local representatives reviewing Elk Co. flood impact
Updated: Friday, May 23 2014, 05:21 PM EDT
Reported By: Deven Clarke
Written By: Marc Stempka
RIDGWAY, Pa. -- State, local and federal officials gathered in the hardest hit Elk County community to review the devastating flooding that stuck earlier this week for help working ways to ensure a proper recovery takes place.
The leaders came together to review what happened - by looking at slideshows of the flooding - and to pledge their support to the residents who were affected when the Clarion River overflowed its banks Wednesday morning.
The Elk County commissioners, a representative from state Rep. Matt Gabler, U.S. Rep. Glenn Thompson, the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency and other emergency coordinators were present at the meetings.
Thompson was shocked by the amount of destruction caused by the heavy rains and subsequent flooding.
"Probably over 500 [people] total had to be evacuated. Just countless people displaced, businesses have been displaced," Thompson said. "Thankfully no loss of life and no injuries, that in itself is a true blessing."
In addition to buildings and homes, Ridgway borough council president Kim Zimmerman said the town's reservoir was also affected.
"The water turned brown, very dark brown, from all the mud and stuff, and all that means is we have to take extra adjustments and precautionary measures with our water purification to either add or increase different chemicals," Zimmerman said.
Zimmerman said the water is safe to drink and use as normal.
Elk County commissioner Janis Kemmer said the community's spirit is surging high despite the rebuilding that needs to take place.
"It's such a blessing about living in a small town or in Elk County, everybody is willing to help their neighbor," Kemmer said. "It's a neighbor helping neighbor situation."
As officials continue to review the damage, their goal is to make sure those affected receive some kind of assistance.
"There is a process and the state is in the middle of collecting data, PEMA is, and it really is driven by the collection of the assessment of what the damage is," Zimmerman said.
Zimmerman said anyone in Ridgway who suffered a loss during the flood is to report the damages to the borough office, which will help gather the data needed for an overall assessment.