- Corbett signs $2.3B Pa. transportation bill
- Group looking to recruit adoptive and foster parents
- Changes planned for ATMs at Sheetz stores
- FBI seeking info on suspected child sexual predator
- Hundreds pay respects to fallen firefighter
- Elk Co. firefighter dies in the line of duty
- Police warning residents of jury duty scam
- National drug take back day set for Saturday
- Fire destroys Elk Co. home
- Police seek motive in Elk Co. shooting
- DEVELOPING: Woman killed during 'domestic incident' in St. Marys
- 6 killed in crash, including 2 children, in McKean Co.
- PennDOT adding weight restrictions to 1,000 PA bridges
- Man dies after colliding with elk
- Doctor tied to Clearfield County arrested in drugs-for-sex case
- Fire damages Elk Co. home, sends firefighter to hospital
- 2 Johnsonburg residents killed in crash
- Elk County garage fire ruled arson
- Fire destroys Ridgway borough garage
- Paper mill fire finally out after 12 days
- Arrest made in Elk County arson, others remain unsolved
Fire damages Elk Co. home, sends firefighter to hospital
Updated: Monday, August 19 2013, 04:34 PM EDT
ST. MARYS, Pa. -- One man is without a home after a fire damages his home in St. Marys Saturday. A firefighter was also sent to the hospital with heat exhaustion, fire officials said.
The cause is under investigation, but homeowner Jerimiah Bucher said he believes household chemicals may be to blame.
Bucher said he was told the fire may have been caused by what he was doing before he left the house, he was scrubbing the floors and tubs and cleaning the windows.
"They said it started in a garbage can in the kitchen,” Bucher said. “Their initial instinct is the cleaners we were using, the wet rags with the cleaner on it actually reacted to the different cleaners."
Fire investigators have not confirmed this, saying the fire is still under investigation.
Ash and char cover much of the home along South Michael Street.
"Next thing I know my phone rang calling to say my house was on fire."