- Corbett signs $2.3B Pa. transportation bill
- Group looking to recruit adoptive and foster parents
- Changes planned for ATMs at Sheetz stores
- FBI seeking info on suspected child sexual predator
- Hundreds pay respects to fallen firefighter
- Elk Co. firefighter dies in the line of duty
- Police warning residents of jury duty scam
- National drug take back day set for Saturday
- Fire destroys Elk Co. home
- Police seek motive in Elk Co. shooting
- DEVELOPING: Woman killed during 'domestic incident' in St. Marys
- 6 killed in crash, including 2 children, in McKean Co.
- PennDOT adding weight restrictions to 1,000 PA bridges
- Man dies after colliding with elk
- Doctor tied to Clearfield County arrested in drugs-for-sex case
- Fire damages Elk Co. home, sends firefighter to hospital
- 2 Johnsonburg residents killed in crash
- Elk County garage fire ruled arson
- Fire destroys Ridgway borough garage
- Paper mill fire finally out after 12 days
- Arrest made in Elk County arson, others remain unsolved
Fire destroys Elk Co. home
Updated: Thursday, October 24 2013, 02:06 PM EDT
Crews spend hours working to put out flames
By: Marc Stempka
JAY TOWNSHIP, Pa. – Firefighters and emergency personnel spent hours working to put out a fire at a home in Elk County late Wednesday night and into Thursday morning.
Officials with the Jay Township fire department said the fire started at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday at a home in the 1100 block of River Road, just outside of Weedville.
Officials said two people lived inside the home and were able to get out of the structure before the flames spread throughout the house.
Crews worked to contain and put out the fire until around 6 a.m. Thursday. Officials said the complex structure of the home made the firefight difficult.
One firefighter suffered a non-life threatening injury while at the scene, but officials did not specify the nature of the injury.
Officials said the American Red Cross was assisting the two people who lived in the home and that a state police fire marshal was investigating the cause of the fire.