- Corbett signs $2.3B Pa. transportation bill
- Group looking to recruit adoptive and foster parents
- Police investigating Huntingdon Co. robbery
- Altoona radio's 'Frogman' dead after stroke
- Changes planned for ATMs at Sheetz stores
- Lights of Love campaign to help remember loved ones whoâve died
- FBI seeking info on suspected child sexual predator
- National drug take back day set for Saturday
- Police investigating copper theft from cell tower
- Huntingdon Co. man accused of stabbing man with screwdriver
- Blair Co. teenager killed in collision
- Man seriously hurt after car crashes into river in Huntingdon Co.
- Hess, veteran local lawmaker, dies after surgery
- Police: Alcohol, speed were factors in fatal crash
- PennDOT adding weight restrictions to 1,000 PA bridges
- Police investigating several Huntingdon County business burglaries
- Police camp focuses on girl power
- Police warn of increase in scams
Hess, veteran local lawmaker, dies after surgery
Updated: Friday, September 6 2013, 02:59 PM EDT
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) --
The Pennsylvania House speaker's office says longtime state Rep. Dick Hess is dead at age 74 from complications that arose after recent leg surgery.
House Speaker Sam Smith said Hess died Friday at UPMC Shadyside Hospital in Pittsburgh, surrounded by his family.
A Republican, his district ran through Bedford, Fulton and Huntingdon counties in western Pennsylvania.
Hess was a 14-term veteran of the House, where he most recently chaired the Transportation Committee.