Politics and Government
- Pa. House advances child-abuse reforms
- Recount allowed in Port Matilda mayor's race
- Still no mayor named in Centre Co. town
- Corbett signs $2.3B Pa. transportation bill
- State panel OKs tougher Pa. graduation standards
- Pa. gay marriage lawsuit could get trial date
- Pa. House poised to send highways bill to Corbett
- Second person to challenge Shuster in 9th District Race
- Obama: 'We fumbled the rollout' of health care plan
- State College mayor re-elected
- One vote can make a difference in local elections
- Congress sends gov't funding, debt bill to Obama
- Corbett: No more to say about gay marriage remark
- Monday marks deadline for voter registration
- Pa. senators vote to lift CHIP's 6-month wait
- Pa. Treasurer Rob McCord running for governor
- Pastor says he was fired for same-sex wedding in Centre Co.
- Pa. lawmakers return to Capitol for fall session
- Corbett, US to start meeting on Pa. Medicaid plan
- Pa. attorneys: Gay couples, like kids, can't marry
- Former Johnstown congressman eyeing political comeback
Pastor says he was fired for same-sex wedding in Centre Co.
Updated: Tuesday, September 24 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
By: The Associated Press
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. --
A pastor says his congregation has fired him for conducting the wedding of two men at a the State College mayor's home.
The Rev. Ken Kline Smeltzer tells the Centre Daily Times he's been fired for marrying Pike County men Joseph Davis and Gregory Scalzo on Aug. 19 at the home of State College Mayor Elizabeth Goreham.
Goreham had pledged to marry any same-sex couples who came to her with a license issued by a rogue county clerk in eastern Pennsylvania, but decided against that once borough officials told her that would violate her oath of office.
Instead, she invited Smeltzer, who is a friend, to perform the wedding.
Smeltzer won't identify the congregation that fired him. An online newspaper ad lists him as pastor of Burnham Church of the Brethren, which wasn't answering its phone Tuesday morning.
PREVIOUS 6 NEWS COVERAGE:
- Aug. 19, 2013: Same-sex couple married at home of State College mayor
- Aug. 1, 2013: Mayor says she’ll marry gay couples