- No foul play in death of Windber man hit by train
- Man killed in Somerset Co. ATV accident
- Freight train strikes, kills Somerset Co. man
- Russia's Severstal selling US plants for $2.3B
- Somerset Trust bank president proud of community
- Somerset Co. man fighting blight in neighborhood
- Camp helps kids with diabetes overcome obstacles, make new friends
- Somerset County fire department improves fire protection rating
- 6 local airports receiving funding
- Canadian company buys PBS Coals
- Somerset Co. woman on probation in child cancer fundraiser scam
- Local V.F.W. asking for donations for care packages
- Strong storms cause damage in Somerset Co.
- Arborist points to hundreds of reasons trees fall
- Body found along Turnpike in Somerset Co.
- Meyersdale blaze ruled arson, plagues problems for borough
- Crews battle late night fire in Somerset Co.
- Flames, smoke swarm Meyerdale building
- Man injures officers after allegedly drinking and driving
- Somerset Co. man facing additional charges
- Firefighters battle blaze at Somerset Co. home
- Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown selling bishop's home
- Family of crash victim asking for prayers
- People in Conemaugh Twp. say rotted trees have always been a problem
- Police identify victims after Monday's fatal crash
- 'Freak accident' kills two young children, injures four others
- 2 children killed, 4 others injured in 'freak' accident
- Somerset Co. roadway closed due to fatal crash
- Somerset Co. fire department bringing back holiday celebration
- Man from Somerset Co. missing, found
- Walking in her shoes raises awareness for domestic violence
- Windber baby dies 20 days after mother is shot
- Somerset Co. baby dies weeks after emergency delivery after mother was shot
- Somerset Co. man recalls rescue following Chilean miners' viral video
- 29th annual WJAC-TV Donor Day underway
- Woman looks past disability, adopts injured dog from shelter
- Police: Bold burglar walks past victims to steal items
- Commission OKs another boost in Pa. Turnpike tolls
- Residents in Somerset Co. could lose lake as resource
- Annual Miners Fest held in Somerset Co.
- Accident in Somerset Co. has one person flown to hospital
- Evacuation in place for residents in part of Somerset Co.
- Hearing continued for man accused of killing pregnant girlfriend
- Crews searching for missing man at Ohiopyle State Park
- Somerset Co. business equipment damaged
- Man accused of killing girlfriend explains it as an accident
- Baby delivered despite mother's death
- Man accused of stealing from business he worked at
- Woman shot and killed in Somerset Co.
- United Way gives grants to 25 agencies for 2014-2015
- Rockwood home damaged after grill catches fire
- Windber Fire members complete 'cold water challenge' for charity
- Police: Pickup truck loses brakes, smashes into police cruiser
- Students honor past band director with final march
- Somerset Co. teacher teaching students to make a difference
- Windber Fire Department and Northern EMS get new equipment
- Fed up neighbors look to take back town with watch group
- Battling prescription drug trafficking an ongoing effort
- Several area schools score high on state performance profile
- Church honors those who fought in Civil War
- Stepfather allegedly stabs son after argument
- Father Lewandowski suspended due to sexual allegations with minor
- Father Lewandowski suspended due to sexual allegations with minor
- Project hopes to feed the hungry and employ wounded warriors
- Hillshire deal means new Snyder of Berlin owner
- Ham, ice cream stolen from Somerset Co. store
- Officials hope Indian Lake refills in time for boating season
- Corbett visits Somerset Hospital to celebrate grant
- Facility for overweight children to open in Windber
- Push Out the Pusher: Community asked to help combat drugs
- $11K in gold found during Turnpike vehicle search
- Officials: Heroin that caused 12 overdoses did not contain fentanyl
- Greene Co. prison escapee captured in Somerset Co.
- SCI Greene escapee returns to Somerset County over the weekend
- Music program cut from Somerset Co. school
- Man killed after concrete barrier falls on him
- Man serving time for Somerset Co. thefts escapes from corrections center
- The 9th Congressional District candidates face off
- Car show in Somerset Co. benefits Boys and Girls Club
- Three arrested for allegedly having drug paraphernalia
- Police: Alleged heroin supplier turns himself in
- Police searching for man who allegedly sells
- Somerset Co. man jailed on charges he stalked ex-witness
- 12 heroin overdoses in 72 hours linked to same batch
- Two trucks collide, close Somerset Co. roadway
- Man sentenced in death of Somerset Co. baby
- Somerset Welfare League hosts annual jewelry bash
- Somerset Co. man prompts manhunt Thursday night
- Volunteers planting trees at Flight 93 site
- Judge rules against Somerset Co. district in coal tax case
- USS Somerset arrives in San Diego port
- Threat of dirty needles cancels Meyersdale egg hunt
- ACRP anniversary has cofounders enthusiastic
- Another bust on PA turnpike nets 160 bricks of heroin
- Windber girl thanked for willingness to help, include others
- No injuries reported after train, tractor-trailer collide
- Propane truck crashes, forces evacuation of western Md. town
- Train, tractor-trailer collide in Somerset
- Woman pleads guilty to misdemeanor after stealing from girl with cancer
- Memorial set up in Somerset Co. Park
- 2 arrested, $30K in heroin seized along turnpike in Somerset Co.
- Century-old building, home burned in early morning fire
- Allegheny Adventure Expo planned for Johnstown area
- NJ fugitive arrested in Boswell after 2 decades on the run
- Somerset Co. bank robbed
- Windber student sends caring message to classmates on playground
- Victims of sexual abuse encouraged to speak out
- Accident on PA Turnpike sent one worker to the hospital
- Nonprofit organization distributing 40,000 books
- Sage's Army talks heroin addiction to Somerset students
- Judge: Flight 93 site correctly valued by panel
- Man who killed himself had history of indecent exposure
- Hospital adding child advocacy center for victims of abuse
- Good Samaritan: 'I'm no hero'
- Bedford Co. turnpike closure planned
- Victims in Cambria Co. attempted murder-suicide identified
- Police: Investigation now an attempted homicide-suicide
- Police remain on scene of Cambria Co. shooting, standoff
- Somerset Co. house destroyed in fire
- Three people escape Somerset Co. house fire
- Stoystown man accused of brutally beating Marine
- Man leads police on high-speed chase in Somerset Co.
- Conemaugh Health System announces partnership with Tennessee-based company
- Conemaugh Health System to announce partnership
- 14-year-old assaulted in Somerset Walmart
- Two people killed in Somerset crash
- Maple tour successful, according to organizers
- State education funding highlighted in Cambria Co. hearing
- Somerset Co. teachers settle gender bias suit
- Police: Woman allegedly steals $2,000 from Hidden Valley Ski Shop
- One injured in train-car crash in Somerset Co.
- USS Somerset commissioned Saturday
- 7 kilos of raw heroin seized on PA Turnpike
- Fire crews battle flames at Somerset Co. building
- Navy preparing to commission USS Somerset
- Thousands generated from lodging tax, distributed to Somerset businesses
- Heroin: A story of grief and hope
- Somerset Co. mobile food bank provides meals from a trailer
'Freak accident' kills two young children, injures four others
Updated: Monday, June 23 2014, 09:51 PM EDT
By: Maria Miller
CONEMAUGH TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- It was an absolutely horrific scene in Somerset County when a tree crashed down on a car Monday afternoon, killing two children who were inside. Two other children were hurt, so was their mother who was pregnant, and a man who was driving. At last check they were all at the hospital.
Investigators are calling it a freak accident.
"In my 23 years, I've never had anything like this," said Conemaugh Township Police Chief Louis Barclay. "A large tree from the hillside dislodged, came down on top of the vehicle causing the vehicle to cross over in the north bound lane, impacting with a telephone pole."
It happened around 2:30 Monday afternoon along Tire Hill Road in Conemaugh Township, Somerset County.
The tree, snapped at its roots, was still lying across the road as emergency personnel worked to remove the passengers -- a presumed father, a pregnant mother and four young children, two of whom were pronounced dead at the scene.
"To have two young children in the same family, it has to be horrendous on the parents," Barclay said. "I can't even imagine."
"I heard this cracking sound and then I heard a big noise and then a bigger noise," said Nena Overman. "My first instinct was to run. I just took off."
Overman was on her front porch when she heard the crash. As a former fire fighter herself, she ran towards the accident to help, without even thinking twice.
"She was very hysterical, crying and screaming... I saw kids running around... Crying screaming," Overman said. "I walked up on the back side of the car and she kept saying, 'get my children, get my children out,' and I had attempted to see if I could help but it was a little more involved than what I'm able to do."
The section of roadway was shut down for at least five hours as the car was draped in blankets and tarps while investigators and the coroner worked to remove the small bodies. It's a tragic accident that will no doubt be engraved in the minds of those who tried to help.
"The EMS... God bless their souls. They had a hard time dealing with it when they got on scene," Barclay said. "They had a hard time dealing with it and I can understand. It was ugly."
"It brought back a lot of memories of why I don't do it as much as what I used to," Overman said.