- Prosecutor seeking death penalty against Windber man who killed pregnant girlfriend and baby
- Local PSP barracks tightening security following Blooming Grove shooting
- Former parishoners react to search of Central City church's rectory
- 13 years later: Flight 93 victims remembered in somber ceremony
- Congressional Gold Medal awarded to Flight 93 victims
- For new generation, Sept. 11 a history lesson
- Families place luminaries at Wall of Names
- Flight 93 Memorial grows with visitor center complex
- Records show burglary suspects have extensive criminal history
- Police, rescue crews search for Holsopple man near Paint Twp.
- Hundreds visit Flight 93 memorial ahead of anniversary
- Woman burned while lighting cigarette near oxygen tank
- Somerset Co. couple falls victim to IRS scam
- Roofer who fell from Somerset County house passes away
- Jet skis help Somerset seniors live life to the fullest
- DUI offenders affected by inaccurate blood tests not as many as first thought
- Man charged in N. Rosina Ave. home invasion
- Sale of Conemaugh Health System to Duke LifePoint is final
- Two home invasions reported hours apart in Somerset
- Man falls off Somerset Co. roof during storm
- Local coal leaders discuss coal market, economy and sustainability
- Kitten rescued from Somerset Co. drain
- Somerset farm growing pink pumpkins for breast cancer awareness
- Man serving time for stabbing daughter dies in Somerset prison
- Friedens man killed when dirt bike collides with van
- Group hopes to help families who lost a child
- Children and adults with disabilities participate in summer camp
- Celebrating and reflecting: Quecreek Mine Rescue 12 years later
- Golden eagle rehabbed, released back into wild
- Family fed up with turnpike motorists using backyard as bathroom
- Car ditched in Rockwood Borough reported stolen in Illinois
- Ohio man found shot near turnpike in Somerset killed himself
- No foul play in death of Windber man hit by train
- Man killed in Somerset Co. ATV accident
- Freight train strikes, kills Somerset Co. man
- Russia's Severstal selling US plants for $2.3B
- Somerset Trust bank president proud of community
- Somerset Co. man fighting blight in neighborhood
- Camp helps kids with diabetes overcome obstacles, make new friends
- Somerset County fire department improves fire protection rating
- 6 local airports receiving funding
- Canadian company buys PBS Coals
- Somerset Co. woman on probation in child cancer fundraiser scam
- Local V.F.W. asking for donations for care packages
- Strong storms cause damage in Somerset Co.
- Arborist points to hundreds of reasons trees fall
- Body found along Turnpike in Somerset Co.
- Meyersdale blaze ruled arson, plagues problems for borough
- Crews battle late night fire in Somerset Co.
- Flames, smoke swarm Meyerdale building
- Man injures officers after allegedly drinking and driving
- Somerset Co. man facing additional charges
- Firefighters battle blaze at Somerset Co. home
- Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown selling bishop's home
- Family of crash victim asking for prayers
- People in Conemaugh Twp. say rotted trees have always been a problem
- Police identify victims after Monday's fatal crash
- 'Freak accident' kills two young children, injures four others
- 2 children killed, 4 others injured in 'freak' accident
- Somerset Co. roadway closed due to fatal crash
- Somerset Co. fire department bringing back holiday celebration
- Man from Somerset Co. missing, found
- Walking in her shoes raises awareness for domestic violence
- Windber baby dies 20 days after mother is shot
- Somerset Co. baby dies weeks after emergency delivery after mother was shot
- Somerset Co. man recalls rescue following Chilean miners' viral video
- 29th annual WJAC-TV Donor Day underway
- Woman looks past disability, adopts injured dog from shelter
- Police: Bold burglar walks past victims to steal items
- Commission OKs another boost in Pa. Turnpike tolls
- Residents in Somerset Co. could lose lake as resource
- Annual Miners Fest held in Somerset Co.
- Accident in Somerset Co. has one person flown to hospital
- Evacuation in place for residents in part of Somerset Co.
- Hearing continued for man accused of killing pregnant girlfriend
- Crews searching for missing man at Ohiopyle State Park
- Somerset Co. business equipment damaged
- Man accused of killing girlfriend explains it as an accident
- Baby delivered despite mother's death
- Man accused of stealing from business he worked at
- Woman shot and killed in Somerset Co.
- United Way gives grants to 25 agencies for 2014-2015
- Rockwood home damaged after grill catches fire
- Windber Fire members complete 'cold water challenge' for charity
- Police: Pickup truck loses brakes, smashes into police cruiser
- Students honor past band director with final march
- Somerset Co. teacher teaching students to make a difference
- Windber Fire Department and Northern EMS get new equipment
- Fed up neighbors look to take back town with watch group
- Battling prescription drug trafficking an ongoing effort
- Several area schools score high on state performance profile
- Church honors those who fought in Civil War
- Stepfather allegedly stabs son after argument
- Father Lewandowski suspended due to sexual allegations with minor
- Father Lewandowski suspended due to sexual allegations with minor
- Project hopes to feed the hungry and employ wounded warriors
- Hillshire deal means new Snyder of Berlin owner
- Ham, ice cream stolen from Somerset Co. store
- Officials hope Indian Lake refills in time for boating season
- Corbett visits Somerset Hospital to celebrate grant
- Facility for overweight children to open in Windber
- Push Out the Pusher: Community asked to help combat drugs
- $11K in gold found during Turnpike vehicle search
- Officials: Heroin that caused 12 overdoses did not contain fentanyl
- Greene Co. prison escapee captured in Somerset Co.
- SCI Greene escapee returns to Somerset County over the weekend
- Music program cut from Somerset Co. school
- Man killed after concrete barrier falls on him
- Man serving time for Somerset Co. thefts escapes from corrections center
- The 9th Congressional District candidates face off
- Car show in Somerset Co. benefits Boys and Girls Club
- Three arrested for allegedly having drug paraphernalia
- Police: Alleged heroin supplier turns himself in
- Police searching for man who allegedly sells
- Somerset Co. man jailed on charges he stalked ex-witness
- 12 heroin overdoses in 72 hours linked to same batch
- Two trucks collide, close Somerset Co. roadway
- Man sentenced in death of Somerset Co. baby
- Somerset Welfare League hosts annual jewelry bash
- Somerset Co. man prompts manhunt Thursday night
- Volunteers planting trees at Flight 93 site
- Judge rules against Somerset Co. district in coal tax case
- USS Somerset arrives in San Diego port
- Threat of dirty needles cancels Meyersdale egg hunt
- ACRP anniversary has cofounders enthusiastic
- Another bust on PA turnpike nets 160 bricks of heroin
- Windber girl thanked for willingness to help, include others
- No injuries reported after train, tractor-trailer collide
- Propane truck crashes, forces evacuation of western Md. town
- Train, tractor-trailer collide in Somerset
- Woman pleads guilty to misdemeanor after stealing from girl with cancer
- Memorial set up in Somerset Co. Park
- 2 arrested, $30K in heroin seized along turnpike in Somerset Co.
- Century-old building, home burned in early morning fire
- Allegheny Adventure Expo planned for Johnstown area
- NJ fugitive arrested in Boswell after 2 decades on the run
- Somerset Co. bank robbed
- Windber student sends caring message to classmates on playground
- Victims of sexual abuse encouraged to speak out
- Accident on PA Turnpike sent one worker to the hospital
- Nonprofit organization distributing 40,000 books
- Sage's Army talks heroin addiction to Somerset students
- Judge: Flight 93 site correctly valued by panel
- Man who killed himself had history of indecent exposure
- Hospital adding child advocacy center for victims of abuse
- Good Samaritan: 'I'm no hero'
- Bedford Co. turnpike closure planned
- Victims in Cambria Co. attempted murder-suicide identified
- Police: Investigation now an attempted homicide-suicide
- Police remain on scene of Cambria Co. shooting, standoff
- Somerset Co. house destroyed in fire
- Three people escape Somerset Co. house fire
- Stoystown man accused of brutally beating Marine
- Man leads police on high-speed chase in Somerset Co.
- Conemaugh Health System announces partnership with Tennessee-based company
- Conemaugh Health System to announce partnership
- 14-year-old assaulted in Somerset Walmart
- Two people killed in Somerset crash
- Maple tour successful, according to organizers
- State education funding highlighted in Cambria Co. hearing
- Somerset Co. teachers settle gender bias suit
- Police: Woman allegedly steals $2,000 from Hidden Valley Ski Shop
- One injured in train-car crash in Somerset Co.
- USS Somerset commissioned Saturday
- 7 kilos of raw heroin seized on PA Turnpike
- Fire crews battle flames at Somerset Co. building
- Navy preparing to commission USS Somerset
- Thousands generated from lodging tax, distributed to Somerset businesses
- Heroin: A story of grief and hope
- Somerset Co. mobile food bank provides meals from a trailer
Meyersdale blaze ruled arson, plagues problems for borough
Updated: Tuesday, July 1 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
By: Melanie Gillespie and WJAC Web Staff
MEYERSDALE, Pa. -- A building that was standing Sunday afternoon in Meyersdale is nothing but a pile of burnt rubble Monday.
The old Slammerz Bar on Center Street went up in flames Sunday night.
A State Police Fire Marshal ruled it arson.
The fire not only put the lives of firefighters at risk, but caused problems throughout town the next day.
Tom Smith is on borough council and lives right next door to where the vacant building used to stand.
A backhoe brought down all of the bricks and wood in order to put the inferno out.
"We have a couple blighted properties in town. We've been fighting to get them taken care of for this exact reason," Smith said. "We're looking at probably $10,000 worth of water damage, smoke damage, broken windows and lost property."
There were a number of problems that plagued the town on Monday.
Sheetz temporarily shut down gas pumps and could not accept anything but cash because of power outages.
Meyersdale Fire Chief said more than one million gallons of water were needed to fight the flames and used up almost an entire tank of the borough's water.
"Our tank downtown was down to about six inches left at about 5 o'clock this [Monday] morning," Meyersdale Municipal Authority Supervisor Jeff McKenzie said.
McKenzie said there is normally up to 14 feet of water available.
Workers with the municipal authority had to put in overtime hours to fix leaks left behind from the surge of water needed to fight the fire.
"Well, we have a few breaks that [was] caused by this fire; big drawls bring out the weak points in the distribution system," McKenzie said.
Borough Council said the building has been vacant and condemned for years.
Smith said this arson is costing tax payers money.
"Unfortunately, the borough is picking up the tab of getting this cleaned up because this man had no insurance," Smith said.
A firefighter was taken to the hospital Sunday night for heat exhaustion, but was released the following morning.
The water authority has a boil advisory in effect as a precaution, but expects everything to be back to normal by Thursday.