- Group hopes to help families who lost a child
- Children and adults with disabilities participate in summer camp
- Celebrating and reflecting: Quecreek Mine Rescue 12 years later
- Golden eagle rehabbed, released back into wild
- Family fed up with turnpike motorists using backyard as bathroom
- Car ditched in Rockwood Borough reported stolen in Illinois
- Ohio man found shot near turnpike in Somerset killed himself
- No foul play in death of Windber man hit by train
- Man killed in Somerset Co. ATV accident
- Freight train strikes, kills Somerset Co. man
- Russia's Severstal selling US plants for $2.3B
- Somerset Trust bank president proud of community
- Somerset Co. man fighting blight in neighborhood
- Camp helps kids with diabetes overcome obstacles, make new friends
- Somerset County fire department improves fire protection rating
- 6 local airports receiving funding
- Canadian company buys PBS Coals
- Somerset Co. woman on probation in child cancer fundraiser scam
- Local V.F.W. asking for donations for care packages
- Strong storms cause damage in Somerset Co.
- Arborist points to hundreds of reasons trees fall
- Body found along Turnpike in Somerset Co.
- Meyersdale blaze ruled arson, plagues problems for borough
- Crews battle late night fire in Somerset Co.
- Flames, smoke swarm Meyerdale building
- Man injures officers after allegedly drinking and driving
- Somerset Co. man facing additional charges
- Firefighters battle blaze at Somerset Co. home
- Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown selling bishop's home
- Family of crash victim asking for prayers
- People in Conemaugh Twp. say rotted trees have always been a problem
- Police identify victims after Monday's fatal crash
- 'Freak accident' kills two young children, injures four others
- 2 children killed, 4 others injured in 'freak' accident
- Somerset Co. roadway closed due to fatal crash
- Somerset Co. fire department bringing back holiday celebration
- Man from Somerset Co. missing, found
- Walking in her shoes raises awareness for domestic violence
- Windber baby dies 20 days after mother is shot
- Somerset Co. baby dies weeks after emergency delivery after mother was shot
- Somerset Co. man recalls rescue following Chilean miners' viral video
- 29th annual WJAC-TV Donor Day underway
- Woman looks past disability, adopts injured dog from shelter
- Police: Bold burglar walks past victims to steal items
- Commission OKs another boost in Pa. Turnpike tolls
- Residents in Somerset Co. could lose lake as resource
- Annual Miners Fest held in Somerset Co.
- Accident in Somerset Co. has one person flown to hospital
- Evacuation in place for residents in part of Somerset Co.
- Hearing continued for man accused of killing pregnant girlfriend
- Crews searching for missing man at Ohiopyle State Park
- Somerset Co. business equipment damaged
- Man accused of killing girlfriend explains it as an accident
- Baby delivered despite mother's death
- Man accused of stealing from business he worked at
- Woman shot and killed in Somerset Co.
- United Way gives grants to 25 agencies for 2014-2015
- Rockwood home damaged after grill catches fire
- Windber Fire members complete 'cold water challenge' for charity
- Police: Pickup truck loses brakes, smashes into police cruiser
- Students honor past band director with final march
- Somerset Co. teacher teaching students to make a difference
- Windber Fire Department and Northern EMS get new equipment
- Fed up neighbors look to take back town with watch group
- Battling prescription drug trafficking an ongoing effort
- Several area schools score high on state performance profile
- Church honors those who fought in Civil War
- Stepfather allegedly stabs son after argument
- Father Lewandowski suspended due to sexual allegations with minor
- Father Lewandowski suspended due to sexual allegations with minor
- Project hopes to feed the hungry and employ wounded warriors
- Hillshire deal means new Snyder of Berlin owner
- Ham, ice cream stolen from Somerset Co. store
- Officials hope Indian Lake refills in time for boating season
- Corbett visits Somerset Hospital to celebrate grant
- Facility for overweight children to open in Windber
- Push Out the Pusher: Community asked to help combat drugs
- $11K in gold found during Turnpike vehicle search
- Officials: Heroin that caused 12 overdoses did not contain fentanyl
- Greene Co. prison escapee captured in Somerset Co.
- SCI Greene escapee returns to Somerset County over the weekend
- Music program cut from Somerset Co. school
- Man killed after concrete barrier falls on him
- Man serving time for Somerset Co. thefts escapes from corrections center
- The 9th Congressional District candidates face off
- Car show in Somerset Co. benefits Boys and Girls Club
- Three arrested for allegedly having drug paraphernalia
- Police: Alleged heroin supplier turns himself in
- Police searching for man who allegedly sells
- Somerset Co. man jailed on charges he stalked ex-witness
- 12 heroin overdoses in 72 hours linked to same batch
- Two trucks collide, close Somerset Co. roadway
- Man sentenced in death of Somerset Co. baby
- Somerset Welfare League hosts annual jewelry bash
- Somerset Co. man prompts manhunt Thursday night
- Volunteers planting trees at Flight 93 site
- Judge rules against Somerset Co. district in coal tax case
- USS Somerset arrives in San Diego port
- Threat of dirty needles cancels Meyersdale egg hunt
- ACRP anniversary has cofounders enthusiastic
- Another bust on PA turnpike nets 160 bricks of heroin
- Windber girl thanked for willingness to help, include others
- No injuries reported after train, tractor-trailer collide
- Propane truck crashes, forces evacuation of western Md. town
- Train, tractor-trailer collide in Somerset
- Woman pleads guilty to misdemeanor after stealing from girl with cancer
- Memorial set up in Somerset Co. Park
- 2 arrested, $30K in heroin seized along turnpike in Somerset Co.
- Century-old building, home burned in early morning fire
- Allegheny Adventure Expo planned for Johnstown area
- NJ fugitive arrested in Boswell after 2 decades on the run
- Somerset Co. bank robbed
- Windber student sends caring message to classmates on playground
- Victims of sexual abuse encouraged to speak out
- Accident on PA Turnpike sent one worker to the hospital
- Nonprofit organization distributing 40,000 books
- Sage's Army talks heroin addiction to Somerset students
- Judge: Flight 93 site correctly valued by panel
- Man who killed himself had history of indecent exposure
- Hospital adding child advocacy center for victims of abuse
- Good Samaritan: 'I'm no hero'
- Bedford Co. turnpike closure planned
- Victims in Cambria Co. attempted murder-suicide identified
- Police: Investigation now an attempted homicide-suicide
- Police remain on scene of Cambria Co. shooting, standoff
- Somerset Co. house destroyed in fire
- Three people escape Somerset Co. house fire
- Stoystown man accused of brutally beating Marine
- Man leads police on high-speed chase in Somerset Co.
- Conemaugh Health System announces partnership with Tennessee-based company
- Conemaugh Health System to announce partnership
- 14-year-old assaulted in Somerset Walmart
- Two people killed in Somerset crash
- Maple tour successful, according to organizers
- State education funding highlighted in Cambria Co. hearing
- Somerset Co. teachers settle gender bias suit
- Police: Woman allegedly steals $2,000 from Hidden Valley Ski Shop
- One injured in train-car crash in Somerset Co.
- USS Somerset commissioned Saturday
- 7 kilos of raw heroin seized on PA Turnpike
- Fire crews battle flames at Somerset Co. building
- Navy preparing to commission USS Somerset
- Thousands generated from lodging tax, distributed to Somerset businesses
- Heroin: A story of grief and hope
- Somerset Co. mobile food bank provides meals from a trailer
Windber baby dies 20 days after mother is shot
Updated: Friday, June 27 2014, 02:43 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH, Pa. -- A baby delivered by emergency caesarian section after her mother was shot in Somerset County nearly three weeks ago has died in a Pittsburgh hospital.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office issued a death certificate Friday morning for 20-day-old Abrianna Lyric Kovalcik. Abrianna died at 1:13 a.m. Friday at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC.
The Medical Examiner's Office said Abrianna's autopsy would be performed by the Cambria County Coroner's Office.
"The baby was brought back to Conemaugh [Memorial Medical Center] because that's where the mother's autopsy was also performed," said Cambria County Chief Deputy Coroner Jeffrey Lees.
Abrianna's mother, Caressa Kovalcik, was shot at an apartment in Windber on May 31. She was taken to Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center in Johnstown where she died, but doctors were able to deliver Abrianna by C-section.
Police said Kovalcik's boyfriend and Abrianna's father, 25-year-old Denver Blough, is the person who shot Kovalcik. He is being held in the Somerset County Prison without bail and has been charged with homicide. The couple also had an 11-month-old son.
The Somerset County District Attorney's Office and the Pennsylvania State Police said in a joint statement, "If the status of Commonwealth vs. Denver Blough should change as a result of the autopsy results; a media release will be transmitted at that time. Again, this could take six to eight weeks."
"The Cambria County Coroner's Office has been instrumental with its assistance in this, and continues to play a vital role in this investigation and the circumstances leading to Abrianna's death," said Somerset County District Attorney Lisa Lazzari-Strasiser.
Lee's released preliminary results from the autopsy Friday, ruling Abrianna's death a homicide.
"The preliminary indications are that the baby died from lack of oxygenated blood going to the brain because of the mother's death," Lees said.
State police and Windber police are continuing to investigate the case. Additional information about the circumstances surround the baby's death were not released.
The family's attorney, Matt Zatko, released this statement:
"It was with immense sadness that Bob and Anne Kovalcik informed us of the passing of their granddaughter, Abrianna Lyric Kovalcik. They would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers while also requesting that their privacy and that of their family be respected during this incredibly difficult time."
According to online court documents, Blough has a preliminary hearing scheduled for July 31.a