- Pitt replacing Donald with
- Pitt's Connor playing two-ways in 2014
- Jamie Dixon Uncut Interview
- Pitt's Dixon Guest of Honor at Sunnehanna
- Former Pitt Stars Headed to Texas: Savage to Houston, Street to Dallas
- Pitt's Donald drafted 13th by Rams
- Pitt rallies past Penn State at the Pete
- UPJ Volleyball Continuing Historic Run In NCAA's
- Pitt DT Donald, PSU Trio Named All-Conference
- 5 UPJ Greats Enter Schools' Hall of Fame
- Pitt-Johnstown Wrestlers Ready To Attack First Meet
- Pitt Spring Football: Voytik takes charge at QB
- Pitt Spring Football: Chemistry key for young Panthers
- Pitt leaves for Orlando, NCAA Tournament
- Pitt beats No. 15 UNC 80-75 in ACC quarters
- UPJ puts two in NCAA wrestling semis
- Pitt stays local for 2014 recruiting class
- Duke Drains 13 3's, Beats Pitt 80-65
- Pitt's Donald Wins ACC Defensive Player of Year
- UPJ volleyball wins first PSAC title
- Pitt win clinches bowl bid
- UPJ Volleyball Sweeps Lock Haven In PSAC Quarters
- Pitt, Chryst
- Humbled Pitt Learning From Navy Loss
- Pitt Hoops ACC Era at Media Day
- Chryst high on Boyd entering Pitt's ACC debut
- Pitt's ACC debut spoiled by Seminoles
- LaRod Stephens-Howling visit
- LaRod Stephens-Howling visit
UPJ puts two in NCAA wrestling semis
Updated: Saturday, March 15 2014, 02:12 AM EDT
Courtesy Pitt-Johnstown Athletics
Two Mountain Cats Reach Semifinals at National Tournament
Dave Fogle (125 lbs.) and Travis McKillop (184 lbs.) each won their first
two matches to reach the semifinals and lead a group of six Mountain Cats
who competed on Friday’s first day of the 2014 NCAA Division II National
Tournament in Cleveland, Ohio. Pitt-Johnstown, which still has four
wrestlers alive in the tournament, enters Saturday’s action in eight-place
with 27 points, 14.5 points behind Notre Dame College (Ohio), which leads
the team competition… (Tournament brackets and results)
On Saturday, wrestling will start at 10 a.m. EDT with the Championship
Semifinals, Third Round Consolations and the Consolation Semifinals (90
matches). The Championship Finals are scheduled for Saturday at 6 p.m.
EDT (10 matches).
Fogle opened the tournament with a 5-2 decision over St. Cloud State’s
Tanner Johnshoy, before scoring a 4-1 win over Alex Johns (Indianapolis)
to earn his spot in the semifinals against Augustana’s T.J. North.
At 184 lbs., McKillop defeated Lake Erie’s Chevy Farris, 9-2, then
advanced to the semifinals with a 7-3 decision over Dallas Smith (Ouachita
Baptist). McKillop will face Kyle Piatt (Western State) in the
Zac Bennett (197 lbs.) and Josh Duplin (285 lbs.) each won their opening
round bouts, but suffered losses in the quarterfinals.
Bennett pinned Newberry’s Joe Grisko at 1:57 of the first period, but a
late takedown lifted Upper Iowa’s Carl Broghammer to a 6-4 win and sent
Bennett into the consolation bracket. Bennett rebounded to defeat Sam
Mangum (Western State), 6-5, in the second round of the consolations to
earn the right to wrestle on Saturday.
Both of Duplin’s first day matches were decided in tie breakers. Duplin
held off Lorenzo Serna, 2-1, in the first round, but Maryville’s Donnell
Walker defeated Duplin, 4-3, in the quarterfinals. Duplin also stayed
alive in the tournament with a 2-1 victory over Southwest Minnesota State
Cole Wilson in the consolation bracket.
Sam Hanau (141 lbs.) and Cole Landowski (149 lbs.) each wrestled, but both
Through the first day of wrestling, Notre Dame leads with 44.5 points.
Nebraska-Kearney is second with 41 points, while Lindenwood (36 pts.), St.
Cloud State (35.5 pts.), Maryville (33 pts.) and Ouachita Baptist) round
out the top-five. Pitt-Johnstown is eighth with 27 team points.