WJAC 6 News - Search Results
Blair County buildings evacuated because of gas odor
More than 100 people evacuated
By Marc Stempka
LOGAN TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- Three professional buildings were evacuated Friday afternoon in Blair County after a strong odor of natural gas was detected.
Emergency officials said three buildings connected with Delta Healthcare, on Lakemont Boulevard in the Lakemont section of Logan Township, were evacuated after several employees reported the strong odor of gas.
Blair County emergency dispatch said fire department personnel first responded to the buildings at about 12:15 p.m. By 1:45 p.m., fire crews had cleared the scene and people who were in the buildings were being allowed back inside.
Officials said more than 100 people were evacuated from the building while crews worked to pinpoint the source of the gas odor and ventilate the buildings.
Officials said the odor may have been caused by gas lines purging, a process that occasionally occurs in gas lines when air temperatures fluctuate between hot and cold.
Peoples Natural Gas was at the scene to also investigate, officials said.
No serious injuries were reported, but one individual working in one of the buildings did suffer a headache due to the gas odor, officials said.
An investigation was continuing into the incident.
Stay with 6 News and www.wjactv.com for more on this story as it develops.