Most Shared

WJAC 6 News - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Still no arrest a year after runner attacked at PSU

Investigators remain mum on details

Written By: Marc Stempka
Reported By: Gary Sinderson

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Its been one year since a woman was attacked and had her throat slashed on a Penn State University trail, and officials continue to say the investigation is ongoing and no arrests have been made.

Despite few details being released, investigators continue to circle around leads that a family member may be suspected in the attack.

A then-Penn State graduate student, who has not been named, said she was grabbed from behind while running on a trail between Sunset Park and the Penn State arboretum on the northern end of the campus near Vairo Boulevard the afternoon of Dec. 12, 2012, and had her throat cut.

The woman needed 15 stitches to close the wound in her neck and had since been working to recover.

University Park police have remained tight-lipped about the investigation over the past year but, in recently filed court paperwork related to the investigation, police believe a family member remains a main person of interest, despite ruling one out earlier this year.

As 6 News reported in March, court documents showed investigators had not publicly identified a suspect, but officials were reviewing details that a family member of the victim may have been the person who attacked the woman.

Court filings in May revealed at that time the police investigation was continuing, but offered no new details into the case.

A court filing then obtained by 6 News in August revealed that investigators were able to verify that the suspected family member was in Wisconsin on the day of the attack.

In October court documents showed the investigation was progressing, but Penn State police officers who were called to testify about the attack asked to have their request for testimony be dismissed because they said offering any information could jeopardize the investigation.

In paperwork filed last week few details were revealed about the investigation, but the paperwork concludes family members continue to be looked at as potential suspects. No family members are directly named.

The victim has since moved out of the area.

The attack on the trail led to a wide-spread police response from throughout Centre County, prompting several days of heightened security in and around Penn State and State College.

Advertise with us!
Edgar Snyder

Washington Times