Severe Weather Team 6 Stories
- 6 News Weather Team’s Wintercast
- Man falls off Somerset Co. roof during storm
- WJAC meteorologist, Cambria Co. commissioner takes part in Ice Bucket Challenge
- No simple solution to Centre Co. flooding concerns
- Remembering the 1977 Johnstown flood
- Strong storms cause damage in Somerset Co.
- Storms knock out power, tornado reported in Pa.
- Centre Co. attic fire may have been caused by lightning
- Firefighters warn about dangers of extreme heat
- Ahead of July 4th, East Coast eyes tropical storm
- Evacuation in place for residents in part of Somerset Co.
- Wicked weather blows through Bedford Co.
- Storm cleanup underway in Bedford Co.
- Elk County to get fed disaster help for flooding
- Elk Co. flood damage assessments continue
- Red Cross service center changing locations in Elk Co.
- Help for flooding victims can be found at Ridgway Fire Hall
- Flood recovery continues in Elk Co.
- Federal officials, local representatives reviewing Elk Co. flood impact
- ATA helps seniors impacted by flooding
- Ridgway businesses cleaning up, working to reopen quickly
- Residents relying on each other for help in flood recovery
- Ridgway Fire Department assisting with flooded basements
- State officials surveying Elk Co. flood damage
- Recovery begins in Elk County after massive flooding
- People rescued from severe flooding in Elk County
- Residents forced to evacuate homes as flood water rise
- Ridgway officials already planning to prevent next flood
- Johnsonburg flooding worst in recent memory
- Covering flood damage has residents concerned
- Clearfield Co. school children evacuated from rising waters
- More than 100 people evacuated in Elk Co. flooding
- Residents shocked by flooding in Elk Co.
- Major flooding in Elk County
- Most Huntingdon Co. roads reopening from flooding closures
- Several Huntingdon Co. roads closed due to flooding
- Strong winds bring down power lines, knock out power
- Early morning earthquake rattles Los Angeles
- PennDOT finds 35K tons of road salt
- Area superintendents dealing with significant amount of snow days
- WEB EXTRA: What is a polar vortex?
- Severe Weather Team 6 Coverage: Winter Weather Tips
- STORM UPDATE: Tuesday Noon Forecast
- 2013 WinterCast
- Investigation: Officials blame DEP ruling for current flooding
- Flooding reported in Somerset County
Johnsonburg flooding worst in recent memory
Updated: Wednesday, May 21 2014, 06:25 PM EDT
Reported By: Erin Calandra
Written By: Marc Stempka
JOHNSONBURG, Pa. -- The flooding throughout Elk County is something residents are still trying to wrap their minds around, but some residents said Wednesday's floods were some of the worst in recent memory.
One area that went underwater as the Clarion River rose above its banks was Johnsonburg. The water started to fill the streets of town around mid-morning after hours of early-morning heavy rainfall.
Some residents recall the flooding in 2010 but said that flooding was nothing compared to what was seen Wednesday.
As the high water poured into the streets, the calls went out for rescue assistance, with many of those calls being for people who drove through flooded roadways and became stranded.
Johnsonburg Fire Department Lt. Jody Bowley said one woman was stranded in her vehicle as the water came up around it. She needed to be rescued by firefighters.
"That car was an elderly lady. She went, you see the cones down there, she went through the cones," Bowley said. "[She] ended up being stranded in her car to where we had to make a water rescue out of that car."
Officials said she was checked by first responders and will be okay.
Elsewhere in Johnsonburg, firefighters were assisting residents with pumping water from their flooded basements.
Most roadways in the Johnsonburg area Wednesday evening were reopened, but some remained closed and will be so until the waters recede.