Severe Weather Team 6 Stories
- Remembering the 1977 Johnstown flood
- Strong storms cause damage in Somerset Co.
- Storms knock out power, tornado reported in Pa.
- Centre Co. attic fire may have been caused by lightning
- Firefighters warn about dangers of extreme heat
- Ahead of July 4th, East Coast eyes tropical storm
- Evacuation in place for residents in part of Somerset Co.
- Wicked weather blows through Bedford Co.
- Storm cleanup underway in Bedford Co.
- Elk County to get fed disaster help for flooding
- Elk Co. flood damage assessments continue
- Red Cross service center changing locations in Elk Co.
- Help for flooding victims can be found at Ridgway Fire Hall
- Flood recovery continues in Elk Co.
- Federal officials, local representatives reviewing Elk Co. flood impact
- ATA helps seniors impacted by flooding
- Ridgway businesses cleaning up, working to reopen quickly
- Residents relying on each other for help in flood recovery
- Ridgway Fire Department assisting with flooded basements
- State officials surveying Elk Co. flood damage
- Recovery begins in Elk County after massive flooding
- People rescued from severe flooding in Elk County
- Residents forced to evacuate homes as flood water rise
- Ridgway officials already planning to prevent next flood
- Johnsonburg flooding worst in recent memory
- Covering flood damage has residents concerned
- Clearfield Co. school children evacuated from rising waters
- More than 100 people evacuated in Elk Co. flooding
- Residents shocked by flooding in Elk Co.
- Major flooding in Elk County
- Most Huntingdon Co. roads reopening from flooding closures
- Several Huntingdon Co. roads closed due to flooding
- Strong winds bring down power lines, knock out power
- Early morning earthquake rattles Los Angeles
- PennDOT finds 35K tons of road salt
- Area superintendents dealing with significant amount of snow days
- WEB EXTRA: What is a polar vortex?
- Severe Weather Team 6 Coverage: Winter Weather Tips
- STORM UPDATE: Tuesday Noon Forecast
- 2013 WinterCast
- Investigation: Officials blame DEP ruling for current flooding
- Flooding reported in Somerset County
People rescued from severe flooding in Elk County
Updated: Thursday, May 22 2014, 09:26 AM EDT
Cleanup efforts underway in Ridgway
By: WJAC Web Staff
RIDGWAY, Pa. - It came with little warning, a thunderstorm that nearly stayed in place. Meterologists call it training, dumping several inches of rain in a short period of time.
It brought so much rain, so quicky, that it led to serious flash flooding in Elk County.
Ridgway bore the brunt of the storm and now property owners are cleaning up the mess that the flooding left behind.
A shelter was set up at the Ridgway Fire Department and some senior citizens who where evacuated from the high rise were thankful for a cot and a warm blanket to get through the night.
A transformer blew out at the high rise. West Penn Power tells 6 News' Jen Johnson that a transformer will be coming in from Connellsville Thursday. The power company hopes to have the electricity restored by Thursday afternoon.
Several business in Ridgway were damaged by the floodwaters.
Workers cleaned out an auto parts store on Main Street, while the Ridgway VFW across the street wasn't sure when it would reopen.
The water destroyed refrigerators at the VFW and workers say it will be costly to fix or replace.
Members of the Red Cross Disaster Team will be canvassing neighborhoods Thursday morning.
The Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency and Federal Emergency Management Agency will also be in Ridgway.
Community leaders are hoping to get a disaster declaration, which could provide money and assistance from the government.