Severe Weather Team 6 Stories
- Tony Martin's PM Forecast May 29
- Jim Burton AM Forecast May 29
- Tony Martin's PM Forecast May 28
- JB AM WX May 28
- Tony Martin's Forecast May 27
- Tony Martin's Forecast May 26
- The winter weather advisory has been extended until 7 a.m. Tuesday.
- Airlines prepare to shut down in Northeast snowstorm
- 6 News Weather Team’s Wintercast
- Man falls off Somerset Co. roof during storm
- WJAC meteorologist, Cambria Co. commissioner takes part in Ice Bucket Challenge
- No simple solution to Centre Co. flooding concerns
- Remembering the 1977 Johnstown flood
- Strong storms cause damage in Somerset Co.
- Storms knock out power, tornado reported in Pa.
- Centre Co. attic fire may have been caused by lightning
- Firefighters warn about dangers of extreme heat
- Ahead of July 4th, East Coast eyes tropical storm
- Evacuation in place for residents in part of Somerset Co.
- Wicked weather blows through Bedford Co.
- Storm cleanup underway in Bedford Co.
- Elk County to get fed disaster help for flooding
- Elk Co. flood damage assessments continue
- Red Cross service center changing locations in Elk Co.
- Help for flooding victims can be found at Ridgway Fire Hall
- Flood recovery continues in Elk Co.
- Federal officials, local representatives reviewing Elk Co. flood impact
- ATA helps seniors impacted by flooding
- Ridgway businesses cleaning up, working to reopen quickly
- Residents relying on each other for help in flood recovery
- Ridgway Fire Department assisting with flooded basements
- State officials surveying Elk Co. flood damage
- Recovery begins in Elk County after massive flooding
- People rescued from severe flooding in Elk County
- Residents forced to evacuate homes as flood water rise
- Ridgway officials already planning to prevent next flood
- Johnsonburg flooding worst in recent memory
- Covering flood damage has residents concerned
- Clearfield Co. school children evacuated from rising waters
- More than 100 people evacuated in Elk Co. flooding
- Residents shocked by flooding in Elk Co.
- Major flooding in Elk County
- Most Huntingdon Co. roads reopening from flooding closures
- Several Huntingdon Co. roads closed due to flooding
- Strong winds bring down power lines, knock out power
- Early morning earthquake rattles Los Angeles
- PennDOT finds 35K tons of road salt
- Area superintendents dealing with significant amount of snow days
- WEB EXTRA: What is a polar vortex?
- Severe Weather Team 6 Coverage: Winter Weather Tips
- STORM UPDATE: Tuesday Noon Forecast
- 2013 WinterCast
- Investigation: Officials blame DEP ruling for current flooding
- Flooding reported in Somerset County
Severe Weather Team 6 Coverage: Winter Weather Tips
Updated: Sunday, January 5 2014, 06:53 PM EST
Many residents take advantage of weather ahead of bitter cold temperatures
By: Jackalyn Kovac
Sunday afternoon Johnstown residents took advantage of the winter sun; whether it was washing the car or riding sleds, many people enjoyed themselves.
"Well I just try to keep up with all the salt and grime, and get off as much as possible," said Todd Esposita, as he washed his car.
Doctors say hypothermia can easily happen, especially in young children and the elderly, if simple steps aren't taken.
"With hypothermia you will start to shiver ... Shivering will continue to the point where they will begin to act a little goofy," said Dr. Neil Yoder. "They may become unsteady on their feet and sometimes not think clearly. The shivering can actually discontinue and at that point we know we're in trouble."
Protect yourself with extra layers, whether it's with more clothing or blankets. Always try to keep any exposed skin to the bare minimum.
Add some home improvements to your list; many can be done with just a few dollars.
"Most of this stuff is fairly inexpensive," said Home Depot worker Adam Marks. "Pipe insulation starts around $2. You can do a lot for under $50."
If you have any elderly neighbors or family make sure to check up on them to make sure they have everything they need to stay warm.